Saturday, January 22, 2011

Search digital audio stores

In the comments of my post about HDTracks, a reader mentions a a search tool he created:  the Digital audio store Google search. It's a great idea, from this page you can search all the online music stores at once.

search.jpg

As an example, if I search for the new Braids album, the first result is the release in FLAC at the Zunior store. Exactly what I'm looking for.

search2.jpg

Another random example, I search for Sufjan Stevens and once again the first search result points to The Age Of Adz available in FLAC on his Band Camp page.

search3.jpg

Unfortunately it's not a "hole in one" for every search. For example, the Jazz side of the moon album, which I bought on HDtracks, doesn't show up in the results. HDTracks is probably not indexed by the custom search.

Finally, what's missing is a friendly URL. http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=014240413029755198024:0lxj6ikvhca makes it impossible to navigate to without a bookmark.

Thanks for the tip, Andrew. It will be very useful for my searches, and hopefully, helpful to others too!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip - I just added HD Tracks to the list of sites indexed. BTW if anyone wants to add a search widget to their website for this search, email me and I'll send you the code: andrew.schamess (at) gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taken up your idea and made another one, hopefully more comprehensive: http://goo.gl/7Wll5. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete